As an amateur bodybuilder, I’m often asked by friends, family, and coworkers (other Software Development Engineers) what I do for dieting. I’m writing this so that I can refer people to it in the future since the process is a little hard to explain in detail on the spot. Also, I don’t think there are many (if any) that diet like I do and I’d like to share it. I think the diet can be used by anyone with weight goals and its different enough that it might just be what someone needed after trying other methods without success.
For reference, below is a before/after of the diet for my last bodybuilding show in 2016, as well as a full album to the show to establish creds.
Here is some jargon that people use in the diet/bodybuilding space for reference.
- Macros - Macronutrient values. These are protein, carbs, and fat.
- Maintenance - Refers to the amount of calories you need to maintain your body weight.
- HIIT Cardio - High Intensity Interval Training. In this context, cardio that you divide up into fast/slow sections. I usually use an elliptical cardio machine and alternative between 30 seconds of all out speed and 60 seconds of moderate jogging.
- Refeed Day - A day dedicated to higher carbohydrates during a diet. The idea with these is to give yourself energy to workout. I don’t do these.
- Bulking/cutting - A period of time dedicated to gaining/losing weight.
How it works
The diet is based around a three week cycle. The first week is high carb, low fat. The second week is low carb, high fat. The third week is no carb, no fat. Protein is constant the entire time aside from the last day or two of the third week which is dedicated to fasting. I usually end the third week on a 1–2 day fast as well for longevity reasons. It may not be required but I haven’t tested much omitting it.